Sunday, October 22, 2006

Shiny Happy Peole - Part 1 of my story: a collision course with Gothardism & Christian patriarchy fundamentalism

 
Some years ago, J. Lee Grady, who was the editor of a prominent Christian mag called 'Charisma" wrote a book called, "10 Lies the Church Tells Women - How the Bible has been mis-used to keep women in spiritual bondage." (You can read an article-length summary of the book here It begins with these words: "For centuries, a patriarchal system of control has kept women in spiritual captivity through distortion of the scriptures. It's time to debunk the myths"). 

This “male-headship” doctrine is prevalent. Pulpits, marriage seminars, marriage books, missionary organizations, Bible schools – everywhere you turn for help, you get it. This doctrine is like poison, it poisons your mind and your thinking and your emotions – and even when you know it is wrong, it takes years to work the effects of the poison out of your system. There's various rebuttal books such as "10 Lies Women Believe" (notice the baddies are, again, women and their norty behaviours and attitudes - what a contrast with Grady putting the institution of the church on the dock for a change).

But why did so many women react against this book? Grady was trying to do them a favour! What a blessing that a strong man has risen up to state the obvious in such a no-compromise way. If it had been a woman, I wonder if she would have been dismissed as a contentious, bitter feminist? Why did so many women are freak out instead of raising a shout of jubilee?

Why would Christian wives so obediently and compliantly swallow poison? As a girl raised in hard-core legalistic, modern mega-church “ churchianity,” I can offer a clue. It’s what I call, “Good Girl-ism.”


From early childhood, you get socialized to be a good girl and a people-pleaser. Then you get steadily brain-washed so that you doubt and second-guess the voice of the feminine within you – your intuition, your instinct, the voice of your own human spirit, your own conscience and eventually, even the Holy Spirit’s gentle voice. Eventually, you are wired so that the only Voice you recognize as coming from God is the Masculine voice - the strident voice that is asserted, valued, validated and listened to in the church. Even your own conscience gets warped to the point that it starts working against you. Even the faintest niggle of doubt or resistance within you, you immediately squelch as "rebellion."




(Note: this is not to imply that the masculine voice is necessarily bad or wrong – it is just that it has been over-emphasized in the church while the voice of the feminine has been muzzled. We need a balance of both, neither independent of the other).


Then a warm glow of familiar Good Girl righteousness suffuses your entire being as you bask in pride that you successfully quenched another fire of rebellion within your untrustworthy, deceitful and easily-deceived feminine soul.

Fear is what keeps these women dutifully swallowing the poison. Fear of shame and condemnation, that tool of the devil that works so effectively on Good-Girl-People-Pleasers. Fear of being labeled "rebellious" (which, as every fundyland girl knows, is as the sin of "witchcraft"); fear of being labeled a "Jezebel"; fear of reproach; of being disapproved of; of being considered “out of order”; of being rejected, shunned, and ostracized. Fear of being considered a Bad Girl. Fear of the internal shame of feeling like a Bad Girl. Fear of having happen to you what happened to this or that woman when she spoke up or stepped out of her place. Put out of fellowship. Considered "not in good standing" with the church. All subtle variations on being excommunicated and shunned.

It’s fear of the modern day version of being burnt at the stake. Bad things do happen to bad girls. Then and now. Perhaps when the Christian church repents of the persecution of those women who actually were innocent, we may see something break in the spiritual realm that might loosen the strangle hold of the dynamics of this controlling fear in Christian women.
 
 Shiny Happy People: Duggar Family Secrets (TV Mini Series 2023) - IMDb

When I was 17, I sat in church struggling within myself trying to decide if I should answer the altar call for that Sunday’s sermon. (This was a pentecostal church influenced by BILL GOTHARD, with a fair bit of ABOVE RUBIES floating around as well. Sadly, American fundamentalism was exported to NZ and Australia and a lot of churches just accepted it unquestioningly.) The pastor called all the girls and women who knew that they were doing a form of witchcraft in their homes by exerting too much influence over their brothers to come forward to repent and be ‘delivered’. Nearly all my peers were already up there. I remember the line of young women stretching across the front of the church. I was the only sister of three brothers and I had the keenest sense of responsibility in my family, as well as being the one who had leadership qualities. I was an obvious candidate. I searched my soul, trying to test whether I had been “too” influential or persuasive. Part of me felt I should go up – just to cover my bases. But another part of me sensed that it was part of a subtle misogynistic attitude in the doctrine and the church. My internal justice barometer said, “This is wrong. Don’t go forward.” My sense of shame said, “You need to go forward. You’re in rebellion of you don’t.”

During my experience of life in the modern Christian church, I have observed that few women are willing to come join me out on this very shaky doctrinal limb. My conscience, my innate sense of justice, and most of all, my heart understanding of who God is and what He is really like is what coaxed me out onto this lonely, fragile limb. But most women would not want to be put through what I have gone through to earn the right to cling tenaciously to my twig.

Women collaborate with their oppressors – it seems to be an essential survival strategy for women, a kind of Stockholm Syndrome. The fact that most women are physically weaker; and sexually vulnerable, means that women are more vulnerable to abuse and oppression. But I keep seeing women acting like if they just be “more good”; they can mitigate to some extent how much they will be hurt. I see women intensely loyal to the men, the leaders, the pastors and the doctrines that are destroying them. 


I’ve noticed that the more legalistic a denomination is, the more stridently the women in it will speak out to tell other women they must submit. The most extreme unilateral submission books I’ve read have been written by women – Helen Andelin (Fascinating Womanhood); Elizabeth Rice Handford (Me? Obey Him?); Mary Pride; Elisabeth Elliot. On a personal level, I have experienced that the more oppressed and indoctrinated a woman is, the more she is likely to use a very strident, authoritative and shaming voice is rebuking me and telling me how I should behave in my marriage – even if she is suffering terribly herself. It startles me that such women who write books on How to Be a Proper Christian Woman use the rigid, list-making, categorizing, comparing, laying-down-the-law, bringing correction, hard-sell style masculine voice when they tell other women how they should act and how they should be.

That’s the stick – but there’s a carrot, too. The poison of this doctrine is the self-righteousness that makes it so seductive. If all you’ve ever had is shame, then there is a lot of appeal to following a formula that can guarantee that you will be securely within the ranks of the Righteous, the Included, the Acceptable (that is, those least at risk of being burnt at the stake!) What you do is “submit;” keep "sweet;" be perpetually either pregnant or breast-feeding for a decade or two; home-birth; home school; do all the domestic work; make sure you never give instructions or directions to your husband in public or ask him directly to do anything; look pretty, competent, capable, serene and “blessed” on Sundays (when the all-important Appearance Management is MOST crucial!) – and you’ve got it made: you will feel like a good girl. You will feel righteous and you will even feel holy. 


I see that many of us women have this weakness (and it grieves me that this weakness is socialized and even indoctrinated into us) that makes us so susceptible to fear and insecurity. That fear and insecurity can be a breeding ground for legalism and a kind of counterfeit holiness that comes through works instead of only by the cross of Jesus. And women starving for approval and security eat it up.

Women are stuck between a rock and a hard place. In much of the Christian church, women have actually been instructed, in the name of pleasing God and obeying scripture, to do dysfunctional co-dependency and relational idolatry.





The more a people group are controlled and oppressed under an over-bearing authority hierarchy, the more they resort to manipulation instead of direct confrontation and open conflict resolution – which is unacceptable (it’s not “submissive”). It’s either that or die off completely on the inside. But if they do any kind of “manipulation” (looking unhappy; letting a tear or two slip out; being quiet or subdued - which amazingly is construed as the wife giving the husband the cold shoulder rather than the husband freezing out the wife); hinting, pleading or begging; any form of deliberate or subconscious passive-aggression; “buttering up” behavior) then they get into trouble for being ‘manipulative’. So her inner self dies off more and more as the woman ricochets back and forth between trying hard to submit and trying to be true to herself. She struggles to truly, really submit more and not do any more of that terrible manipulation stuff (“I just struggle so hard with control!” one wife wailed to me). But their deep instinct stubbornly, frantically clings to life. God has not designed the human spirit to be suffocated to death as easily as all that. As they cling like a drowning person to some remaining shred of personhood, all that is needed to snuff them out entirely is a good dose of Above Rubies or Debi Pearl or some such teaching, telling them that the struggle they feel on the inside is really their carnal, sinful, selfish nature resisting Dying To Self and to just trust God more and keep a quiet heart.

How awful that the door to the redeeming, restoring, healing blessing of real dying to self, real surrender, real submission and real being led by the Holy Spirit should be shut or hidden to people blinded or blinkered by this hellish doctrine! Real submission has nothing to do with control, authority, power, order, structure and correct gender roles – it is to do with what I believe is truly the Biblical model and God’s true “order” for us: peace, security, joy, love, unity and intimacy, with God and with each other.

To be continued ...

23 comments:

  1. Sing it loud, sing it long sister, it is for freedom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is thank you! I still battle the "mindset" and the "training" I have heard for 40 years. Then, the last the last 25 years from being in and then recovering from ATI.
      Keep pointing us to Gods truth.

      Delete
  2. Awesome. Love J. Lee Grady's work. I just came out of a church (read: cult) like this. Gal 5:1 is my theme verse this year! The day I left that church I felt so much oppression fall off of me. I thank God that I didn't grow up in churches like that, otherwise I may not have recognized the oppression for what it was. So thankful for my mother who taught me true communion with the Spirit of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God for Lois/Eunice mothers eh? It was my Grandmum who taught me about "the practice of the presence of God" and gave me the book. My mum was similarly affected as me in fundyland (lectured by Gothardists, handed copies of Above Rubies etc) but she is now a staunch ally and an amazing sounding board - can't believe how patient and understanding she is with my rants sometimes. Post-exiting fundamentalism, she got a Bachelor degree in counselling and has since supported other people exiting cults and religions. Thanks for sharing your experience, Jen.

      Delete
  3. That's actually painful to read. Another recovering good girl here. I was so anxious about what other people thought of me, always trying to measure up. Doing so much better now, I feel like I trust my inside voice, even my own opinions and the right to have my own perspective now. Funny, one thing that helped the paradigm shift was actually giving birth. I had an awesome midwife who told me to listen to my body and my own instinct, and I'm like - what? huh? but she kept talking about "finding my voice" and "finding my power" (and I kept looking confused) but she did not give up on me. Fundies really like homebirth etc but in my case, homebirth was an act of utter rebellion and I had one heck of a homebirth with a midwife who was all about empowering women to own their power. Guess what, I did. AND it was probably a life-changing empoering experience for my husband too. Not suggesting everyone has to go out and homebirth, just saying, I landed an awesome feminist midwife and she could see I was the timid, religious good girl and she helped me, well, "roar".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a fairly similar experience to you, Haddy. I was timid and unsure of myself but I too had a Homebirth and that really helped me find my power and strength. It was really empowering. Since then I have questioned Christianity, and how women are treated by the church a lot. I don't agree with it and I rebel against the patriarchial view the church has of women and their supposed role. I am yet to find a church which treats women equally.

      Delete
    2. That is a great story. Thank you for sharing it.

      Delete
    3. I also heard a lot of sermons about resisting the fear of man (concern about what other people think about you), but the preachers made me afraid of what they thought about me because I had seen them scorn and sneer about other people and knew what they could do to me!

      Delete
  4. Also a recovering 'good girl' - I am beginning to recognize the ways that I was taught to retreat, demur, and shrink in order to stay in line.

    Your observations on intuition and our 'female' inner voice are spot on. It has been a painful lesson to learn that I ignore this voice - to my peril. If I defer to my husband on something that I just -KNOW- is off kilter or suspect...then I am abandoning my post to be an ezer for our family. This is particularly true now that we have a child and we are making decisions for us as a group. My husband (for whatever reason) does not have the emotional/intuitive sensibility that I do...when I was growing up, I was often shamed for these feelings - as if I were not trusting God enough to be quiet under authority. But, as a woman, I have come to realize the truth - God gave me this sensitivity and it is not a weakness, it is there for my defense - it is a practical way that I guard and protect my family.

    I could give multiple examples of this...from hiring house contractors who just seemed...shady...to taking our infant to the doctor during 'inconvenient' times. My husband is humble and reasonable enough to have validated my 'gut feelings' even after we ignored them. "I should have listened more carefully to your concerns...the next time you feel about something so strongly, please speak up - I need your advice."

    It is for freedom that Christ has set us free - and the Spirit burns as brightly in kingdom daughters as in kingdom sons. It is not a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and sound mind. So let us stand in the Light and the Truth that Christ has given to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! It took me a long time to "trust my gut" and know that it was a good, God-given thing, and to stop second-guessing myself. Thank you Muddled Muse. What a beautiful response by your husband: "I should have listened more carefully to your concerns...the next time you feel about something so strongly, please speak up - I need your advice."

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing.. I'm heartbroken for the women all over who are still under this doctrine.

    While we don't have it quite so bad in my country (other issues yes...), I do so well recognize the need to be accepted, to be loved, to look competent and not contentious...
    The desire to please others is just a form of idolatry and really stifles the voice of the Holy Spirit! Lord, help us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'm heartbroken for the women all over who are still under this doctrine." Me too NarnianGirl. I think of them so often and pray they will find their way to "spacious places" by the grace of God. So many are truly sincere Christians, they just want to please the Lord. No wonder Jesus got so cranky with the religious types, saying, "you place burdens on the people too heavy for them to carry". His burden is easy and light and draws us closer to his heart. I relate to what you say about the anxious to please thing being a form of idolatry. One good thing about being absolutely excoriated by the Religious Right is that it's quite good at curing you of addiction to the praises of man.

      Delete
  6. Here's a good thing to remember about church suppression: "That fear and insecurity can be a breeding ground for legalism and a kind of counterfeit holiness that comes through works instead of only by the cross of Jesus. And women starving for approval and security eat it up." Thanks for posting this enlightening blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Eventually, you are wired so that the only Voice you recognize as coming from God is the Masculine voice - the strident voice that is asserted, valued, validated and listened to in the church."

    Wow. Sudden epiphany. That really is what happens. Your inner voice turns male.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing your truth. It is so important that these issues are spoken off. Not just for the ones deep in it but for the large population who are unable to connect the dots of current generder roles and behaviour and the rule the church plays in that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing this. So much gold here. This was so very relatable... "So her inner self dies off more and more as the woman ricochets back and forth between trying hard to submit and trying to be true to herself. She struggles to truly, really submit more and not do any more of that terrible manipulation stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that so much scholarship is being brought out to shore up that twig, 'cause I want to be out there with you. Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even women who don't "eat it up" end up compromising. Their voices are ignored or belittled, they are passed over for ministry opportunities when far less educated and competent men are asked to preach and mentored and given opportunities and eventually women just give up in discouragement believing they're not worthy. Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for all affected by this stuff. I know the pain of losing female relationships because patriarchy divides and isolates women and seeks to turn us against each other, even against our own selves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Eventually, you are wired so that the only Voice you recognize as coming from God is the Masculine voice - the strident voice that is asserted, valued, validated and listened to in the church."

    Wow. Sudden epiphany. That really is what happens. Your inner voice turns male.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having grown up in a cult type of church I can understand what you are writing. I can see how women would have many advantages to going with the flow and not rocking the boat. There is so much pressure to do things a certain way. In the church that I went to the pastors were regularly publicly rebuking people for begin out of line.

    The men as well are told their roles that they have to follow. I remember going to my pastor to tell him how I felt God was leading me. I was then told off for being out of line. He said God speaks to the pastor then the pastor then talks to the people and that I was out of line in assuming that God would speak to me without first telling him! In this type of church there is no joy for what is real. It is all about playing and acting out a role. Our actions are role played out and our emotional responses are not real but just a acting out of what is expected. To be, do, feel, speak and act real takes courage. It was bad for us men but as a women I can imagine that the pressure to act a role is exponentially more worse.

    ReplyDelete